Over the years home sellers have asked me numerous times what is the best
way to get their homes ready for open houses and showings. This can be a dilemma for some home sellers who may not want to spend a lot of money on painting the interiors and exteriors of their homes or purchasing expensive items that they feel a new owner might not like. A few years ago I worked with a family in White Plains who needed to sell a elderly parents home. The home was beautiful however there were years of pictures, and keepsakes that were on every surface. I advised the sellers to spend a few dollars and get boxes to put all these items in and to open the windows to let in some fresh air. After they did some cleaning and removing most of the clutter the house felt more welcoming. This simple cleaning and putting away the clutter helped create an atmosphere that was more welcoming for the buyers.
When you go to sell your house, first impressions make all the difference with buyers. Most times you don’t have to spend a fortune to achieve positive results. Make your home more appealing for potential buyers with these quick and easy tips.
- Trim bushes so they don’t block windows and cut down on light.
- Buy a new doormat.
- Put a pot of bright flowers on your porch.
- Put new doorknobs on your doors.
- Put a fresh coating on your driveway.
- Edge the grass around walks and trees.
- Polish or replace your house numbers.
- Be sure kids put away their toys.
- Organize the home office and computer table (Hide those wires)
- Buy new pillows for the sofa.
- Clean your gutters.
- Put out potpourri .
- Upgrade the outside lighting.
- Use warm, incandescent light bulbs for a homey feel.
- Keep your garden tools out of sight.
- Put a flowering plant in a window
- Set your table as if you were expecting company for dinner.
- Replace heavy curtains with sheer ones that let in light.
- Buy new towels.
- Put a seasonal wreath on your door.
If you have any ideas that are not on this list please let me know.